Non-Personally Identifiable Information
For security purposes and to ensure that the website remains available to all users, SMART Recovery uses software to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. SMART Recovery automatically or passively collects information about how the website is accessed and used. SMART Recovery collects non-personal information about your Internet connection on this website, including but not limited to:
- the Internet Protocol (IP) and name of the Internet domain used to access the Internet
- the IP address or URL of the website from which you directly linked to this website
- the date and time you accessed this website
- the pages visited on this website
- the browser and operating system you used to access this website
- the search terms used on our search engines
Personal information collection
Data gathering and dissemination is governed by state and federal laws. Personally identifiable information is not released to external parties without your consent unless required by law. SMART Recovery may collect and use the following kinds of personal information:
- information about your use of this website;
- information you provide for the purpose of registering and using this website;
- information about transactions carried out over this website;
- information you provide for the purpose of subscribing to the website services;
- information that allows SMART Recovery National Office and registered volunteers to contact you regarding your training and meetings; and
- any other information that you send to SMART Recovery.
Using personal information
SMART Recovery may use personal information to:
- administer this website;
- personalize the website;
- mentor, coach and track you regarding your training and meetings;
- investigate any reported issues regarding your training, communications, future meetings, or any other potential adverse behaviors that conflict with SMART’s volunteer policies;
- enable access to and use of the website services;
- send products and supply with services that you purchase;
- collect payments;
- provide with support in relationship with us; and
- send notification and marketing communications.
When SMART Recovery discloses personal information to its agents, approved volunteers, or sub-contractors for these purposes, the agent or sub-contractor in question will be obligated to use that personal information in accordance with the terms of this privacy statement.
In addition to the disclosures reasonably necessary for the purposes identified elsewhere above, SMART Recovery may disclose personal information to the extent it is required to do so by law when relating to any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish, exercise or defend its legal rights.
Display of personal information
Securing your data
We understand that the security of personal information is important. SMART Recovery will take and provide reasonable administrative, technical, and physical security controls to protect personal information and prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. However, SMART Recovery cannot warrant the security of your personal information. SMART Recovery will store all the personal information on its secure servers. Information relating to electronic transactions taking place on this website are protected by encryption technology.
SMART Recovery emails
Emails may include a web beacon that informs SMART Recovery whether the email was received or opened, or a link was clicked within the email.
Cross-border data transfers
This website contains links to other websites. SMART Recovery is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any third-party website. The use of links to other websites is subject to the privacy statement of the providers of those websites. Please be aware when you leave this website and to read the privacy statement on each website you visit. You can tell you are leaving a SMART Recovery website by looking at the URL of the destination site.
Cookies are files with small amount of data, which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a web site and stored on your computer's hard drive. Like many sites, we use "cookies" to collect information. You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Site.
The security of your Personal Information is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Effective: June 15, 2017
Last modified: October 08, 2020